This Danish-Norwegian newspaper was produced in Palmerston North on 18 November 1875. The editor was Hjalmar Graff. It is believed that this was the only volume produced. This copy was presented to the Manawatu Evening Standard offices in the 1950s. That organisation passed the copy on to the Palmerston North City Council.
A complete list of all the people named on the Palmerston North War Memorial Cenotaph in The Square, in two parts. The first part is the original WWI names from the 1926 Memorial opening, transcribed in 1990. The second part is a list of names found by the War Research Group set up in 2005 to find all additional known war dead for Palmerston North to that date. The War Research Group consisted of representatives from the Palmerston North City Council, Palmerston North RSA, Palmerston North Officers Club and the Manawatu Standard. Trevor Richards was the researcher
A brief history of Philip's Fowlers wartime service. His archives, mainly on his flying career in World War One and Two, are held at the Ian Matheson City Archives
Notes on the caravans built by Reginald Thorrold - Jaggard, a Palmerston North architect. The archives of the architectural firm of Reginald and William Thorrold-Jaggard are held in the Ian Matheson City Archives
The Awapuni Memorial was rededicated at the ceremony at the Palmerston North Race Course on Thursday 20 October
Article on John Gillies (1866 - 1940). In the 19th century he was involved in the sawmilling and dairy industries in the Manawatū, and later began a taxi service.
Typewritten list of the names of streets in Palmerston North and their origins, as in 1953. Includes some alterations and additions in the hand writing of A G S Bradfield. An amended version of this list was published in 'Fogotten Days' by Bradfield in 1956
Two typewritten lists, with hand written annotations, containing the names and adddresses of sons and daughters of 'early pioneers' whose names appear in the Borough Council's rate books of 1879, 1886 and 1896. The lists appear to have been compiled for the 1937 Palmerston North jubilee (50 years) and then updated with handwritten annnotations for the 1952 jubilee (75 years).
Colin Rush, the author, was involved in the Electrical Industry from 1952. He began at Hayward’s sub-station, was then employed as a cadet, and worked in the engineering work-shop. After being called up for Compulsory Military Training he left the State Hydro Department and joined the electrical firm of J. Lennon Ltd. as an apprentice. After fifteen years working on various building sites, he joined the Manawatū-Oroua Electrical Power Board (MOEPB) as a Fault-man/Operator and over the next twenty years became the Board’s Safety Officer, Electrical Inspector, Staff Officer, and Training Officer. This collation of information was published with the help of the Palmerston North Historical Society
A brief illustrated history of Robért Embroideries, a long standing business in Palmerston North. Archives of the business are held at the Ian Matheson City Archives.
A typed manuscript describing the Palmerston North City Corporation (now the Palmerston North City Council), its functions, organisational structure, departmental responsibilities and associated facilities. Includes names of the council and department heads.
This booklet was created by the Manawatu Section of Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society in 1972. It contains relevant information, newspaper clippings and photographs about the rehabilitation project as well as a potted history of the area.
A research file detailing place names in the Manawatū region that was compiled by Ian Matheson at the request of The Country Women's Institute.
An unknown author details the arrival of his family in Rangiotu in 1937. The document describes daily life in the area during the 1930s and 1940s. The earlier name for Rangiotu was Puketotara.
This is Val Burr's B.A (Hons) History Research Exercise for Massey University. It discusses German emigration to this area, and explores the experience of Germans during and after World War One, in New Zealand and specifically the Manawatu-Rangitikei area.
A brief history of the Palmerston North Showgrounds, now Arena Manawatu, by Leanne Hickman. Established in 1886 by the Manawatu and West Coast Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the showgrounds were also used for military purposes during both World War I and World War II, including being the home of the Maori Battalion. As well they have been associated with many city events over the years. The grounds are now owned by the Council and are the major facility for sports and recreation fixtures in the region.
A sheet outlining the history of the Manawatu Knitting Mills Limited, probably created for the 1983 centenary of the establishment of the business. The business was founded by John Stubbs in his home, and moved to the Main Street site in 1889. It was originally named Stubbs Hosiery Factory, then the Manawatu Hosiery Factory before it became the Manawatu Knitting Mills Ltd in 1932. For more information on the Manawatū Knitting Mills, see White, Jill (2007). ["Women at Work in the Manawatū Knitting Mills." _Manawatū Journal of History_, Vol. 3](https://manawatuheritage.pncc.govt.nz/item/d1572973-019a-4679-9600-89222ba78491/pdf), pp.20-29.
This history of the Palmerston North City Library (1879-1979) was written by Ian W Malcolm, City Librarian at time of publication.
A brief history of both Totaranui and Awahou South School, both of which now reside on the grounds of Te Manawa Museum.