St Andrews Memorial Hall on Ashley Street. Opened on 17 June, 1923 as a memorial to parishoners who lost their lives in World War One, it is currently occupied by Bridal Studio (2020).
Robertson Motors on Amesbury Street - possibly on the site once occupied by the Newmans Bus Depot.
A view of Botanical Road taken opposite number 375a, before the removal of power poles.
301 College Street , Palmerston North. The photographer added the note: Mrs. Fears
The Highden Manor Estate retreat and conference centre situated in Awahuri.
The rear of the Opera House taken shortly before the building was demolished.
The New Royal Tavern (Royal Hotel) on Rangitikei Street. The Royal Hotel began life as Dawick’s Buffet, an unlicensed boarding house and restaurant in the 1890’s established by Samuel Dawick. In 1913 the licence of the Royal Hotel on the corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street was transferred to Dawick’s and it became known as the “New Royal Hotel”, run by George Lvoni. The Royal Hotel was granted a tavern licence in 1971 and was known as the Royal Tavern.
Terry Dunstan Hairdressers located at 31a Victoria Avenue, Palmerston North.
The Newmans Bus Depot on Amesbury Street.
Beattie and Horne Craftsman on Andrew Young Street.
A rear view of the PDC department store.
The Garners Department Store. Garners began in The Square, Palmerston North 7 February 1906 with a small drapery business. Three years later Miss M M Garner went into business with her brothers and they became “Garner and Garner'. In 1923 K M Garner joined the firm, later becoming its Managing Director. By 1937 Miss Garner was no longer involved in the business and Garners moved to the old Zealandia Hall site in Broadway, which was remodelled to suit the business. The building was remodelled again before 1960 and the premises were extended through to Main Street. Garners were bought out by Smith and Brown in the 1960s.
Collinson & Cunninghame's department store stood on the corner of Broadway Avenue and The Square. It was established in 1904 by Leo Collinson and John Cunninghame, and became one of the leading department stores in Palmerston North. It stayed within the Collinson and Cunninghame families until sold in 1983 to the Farmers Trading Company.
G H Bennetts, established 1891, constructed this building c1917-1918. The shop front was renovated in 1965. Bennett was instrumental in changing the name of Broad Street into Broadway, which became official in 1926.
A plaque on the wall of the old Scottish Hall noting the location of the Manawatū Mounted Rifles Orderly Room.
The photographer notes that this is "Skerman's old house between Rongotea and the cemetery." James Skerman was an early settler and had property on what was to become Skerman Line near Kauwhata.
Semper House on Broadway Avenue between Princess Street and Amesbury Street.
The Bank of New Zealand on the corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street.
A view of Broadway Avenue showing the former Berryman's, Broadway Chambers and Coronation Buildings.
The H.L Young building on Broadway Avenue. Henry Llewellyn Young (c1877-1954) established a printing business with Lindsey Buick in 1901, Buick and Young, in Cuba Street, Palmerston North. When Buick dropped out of the business in 1912 it became known as H L Young Ltd. New premises were built in Broadway in 1920. In the 1930s it was the largest general printing company in the North Island.