Manawatū Journal of History

The Manawatū Journal of History contains articles on the history of the wider Manawatū area, written by a variety of contributors. The Journal is published annually.

Back to all Collections

 
Manawatū Journal of History
Manawatū Journal of HistoryManawatu Journal of History: Volume 5Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 2Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 3Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 4+12064
More

Manawatū Journal of History

The Manawatū Journal of History contains articles on the history of the wider Manawatū area, written by a variety of contributors. The Journal is published annually.

 
Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 5

Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 5

Contents: Editorial - Cushla Scrivens Spending a Penny: Public Rest Rooms for Women in Palmerston North and Feilding - Dorothy Pilkington Veteran Curator: Charles Hirtzel and the Manawatu Philosophical Society Museum - Fiona McKergow Olga Maria Monrad: Danish Pioneer, Mother and Wife - Lise Toenner Researching the History of a House: A Glimpse of Early Feilding - Cushla Scrivens The Choral Societies of Palmerston North - Graham Parsons A Post Office Preserved - Margaret Tate A Life in Photography - Ivan Mandahl, as told to Betty Williamson The Palmerston North Squash Club: The Golden Early Years - Grant Smith Request for Information: The Bridle Track - Noelene Wevell Book Reviews: Monro: The Life and Times of the Man who Gave New Zealand Rugby by Clive Akers (Reviewed by Lucy Marsden) We See What Your Mean... A History of St Dominic's School for Deaf Children and the Catholic Deaf Ministry in New Zealand by Dorothy Pilkington (Reviewed by Kathy Broadley) Terrace End: The Story of Palmerston North's First Suburb by Garry O'Neill (Reviewed by James Watson) Notable Lives Brian Mather Jim Lundy The Manawatu Journal of History contains articles on the history of the wider Manawatu area, written by a variety of contributors. The Journal is published annually. Conditions of use: This journal is made available for personal use, study and research and all articles remain copyrighted to their original authors. For permission to reuse or publish please contact: The Editor, Manawatu Journal Associates, PO Box 1702, Palmerston North 4440.

Date
2009
 
Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 2

Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 2

The Manawatu Journal of History contains articles on the history of the wider Manawatu area, written by a variety of contributors. The Journal is published annually. Conditions of use: This journal is made available for personal use, study and research and all articles remain copyrighted to their original authors. For permission to reuse or publish please contact: The Editor, Manawatu Journal Associates, PO Box 1702, Palmerston North 4440.

Creator
Date
2006
Place
Palmerston North
 
Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 3

Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 3

The Manawatu Journal of History contains articles on the history of the wider Manawatu area, written by a variety of contributors. The Journal is published annually. Conditions of use: This journal is made available for personal use, study and research and all articles remain copyrighted to their original authors. For permission to reuse or publish please contact: The Editor, Manawatu Journal Associates, PO Box 1702, Palmerston North 4440.

 
Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 4

Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 4

Contents: Editorial - Cushla Scrivens Refuge for Thousands: The Role of Manawatu After the Hawke's Bay Earthquake - Dorothy Pilkington James Baxter Fleck - Alice Hunt-O'Keefe A Forgotten Hero - Margaret Tate Roy Alstan Lippincott and His Massey Agricultural College Buildings - Lucy Marsden Henry Billens: A Pioneer Palmerston North Photographer - Hewitt Billens Totara Reserve: A Window into Manawatu's Environmental History - Catherine Knight In Her One Hundredth Year: Mary Jane (Molly) Atkinson - Morva Croxson The Communist Catalyst - Andrew N Watson Retrieving History: The Palmerston North Sculpture Trust / The Coach House Museum: The Guy Gallery The Manawatu Journal of History contains articles on the history of the wider Manawatu area, written by a variety of contributors. The Journal is published annually. Conditions of use: This journal is made available for personal use, study and research and all articles remain copyrighted to their original authors. For permission to reuse or publish please contact: The Editor, Manawatu Journal Associates, PO Box 1702, Palmerston North 4440.

Date
2007
 
Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 1

Manawatu Journal of History: Volume 1

The Manawatu Journal of History contains articles on the history of the wider Manawatu area, written by a variety of contributors. The Journal is published annually. Conditions of use: This journal is made available for personal use, study and research and all articles remain copyrighted to their original authors. For permission to reuse or publish please contact: The Editor, Manawatu Journal Associates, PO Box 1702, Palmerston North 4440.

 
Mark Bell-Booth

Mark Bell-Booth

Mark Bell-Booth was a member of the Palmerston North City Council 1991-2004, serving as Mayor 2001-2004. Mr Bell-Booth is a businessman and initially came to prominence during his “Save the Avenue” campaign.

 
Page 1: Dance programme for the Coronation Ball
Page 2: Dance programme for the Coronation Ball

Dance programme for the Coronation Ball

A Ball, to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, was held in the Astoria Ballroom, George Street, Palmerston North, 5 June 1953. A dance programme, carried by women attending, listed the number of dances held over the evening. Men put their names alongside the dance they wished to partner.

 
Sir Geoffrey Peren Building, Massey University

Sir Geoffrey Peren Building, Massey University

The Sir Geoffrey Peren Building (previously known as the Old Main Building) was designed by Roy A. Lippincott in the Spanish Mission / Mission Revival style. It was built by Fletcher Construction, with its foundation stone laid in 1929 and opening in 1931. As the main building of Massey Agricultural College it housed lecture rooms, teaching and research laboratories, a library, assembly hall, students' common room and staff studies. It is now used for offices, teaching and research. Photographs taken for Massey University walk, Local History Week 2010. Tour guide Louis Changuion, archivist, Massey University.

 
Square Edge clock

Square Edge clock

The former Municipal Chambers became an arts centre, known as ‘Square Edge’ when it was vacated by the Palmerston North City Council in 1980. Built as the Palmerston North City Council Municipal building in 1944-1945, it was designed by Reginald Thorrold Jaggard. The Council had occupied the same site in the former Colonial Bank of New Zealand building until it was demolished to make way for their new offices. It retained the 1924 addition (which contained the Council Chamber) at the rear. The building was repainted in 2010.

 
Business Studies Central Building, Massey University

Business Studies Central Building, Massey University

The Business Studies Central Building, designed by Structon Architects & Consulting Engineers, was opened in 1988. It was built in the Post-Modernist style, blending with the colour, textures and architectural features of the original surrounding buildings. It is used for offices, teaching and research. Photographs taken for Massey University walk, Local History Week 2010. Tour guide Louis Changuion, archivist, Massey University.

 
All Saints Church tower

All Saints Church tower

This All Saints Church was built in 1914 on the site of two previous Anglican churches. The first church was built in 1875, and was replaced by a larger building, incorporating the original church, in 1882. In 1910 the second church was moved back on the site to make way for the present brick church, designed by C T Natusch and Sons.

 
McHardy Hall, Massey University

McHardy Hall, Massey University

McHardy Hall was designed by the Public Works Department and built for the Army in 1941, to be used as accommodation for army officers during WWII. It was handed over to Massey Agricultural College (MAC) in 1943, and used as student accommodation. It became known as the Pink Hostel because of its colour. It has been used as staff offices by the University for some time from 1960s-2000s. McHardy Hall was named for the former owner of the site of Massey Agricultural College. Photographs taken for Massey University walk, Local History Week 2010. Tour guide Louis Changuion, archivist, Massey University.

 
St Andrews in the City, Church Street

St Andrews in the City, Church Street

This St Andrew's Church building, the third Presbyterian church on this site, was designed by Gray Young, Morton and Calder, and was opened 28 September 1957. Presbyterian services began in Palmerston North in 1872, and the first church was built in 1878. A second larger building served as the church from 1893 until this one was built.

Load More Items