Unidentified children playing in a river (possibly the Pohangina River).
This view looks down on the construction of the power house looking west from the top of the hill where the pipeline was subsequently laid. The Mangahao Power Station provides hydroelectric power and is situated near the town of Shannon. It serves Wellington, Horowhenua, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, and the Wairarapa. After being delayed by the first world war construction began in late 1919 and the station opened in November 1924.
Standing, L-R: Harry, Celia, Jane Seated, L-R: Jane, Tom
Eva Williams (Wildbore) with her children (L-R), Mervyn, Patricia, and Noel.
Harbour Board grading shed.
Mr Charles E Wildbore was a well-known resident of the Pohangina Valley frm about 1900 to 1920. He owned a small dairy farm and apiary at Pohangina Township, but he is principally remembered for his photographic activities, being an enthusiastic amateur photographer who recorded many interesteing views of rural life in the Pohangina Valley. See Pg35 and Pi172 for further details. This photograph shows an advertising poster designed and photographed by Mr Wildbore. The house in the photograph is said to be the Wildbore home.
This photograph is part of a collection relating to the Mangahao Electric Power Scheme and its construction. The Scheme provides hydroelectric power, and is situated near the town of Shannon. It serves Wellington, Horowhenua, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, and the Wairarapa. After being delayed by the first world war construction began in late 1919 and the station opened in November 1924. The large white building in the right-hand middle distance is the office.
This photograph shows the handiwork of students under Mr Stephenson. Some of the items pictured are ladders, a cabinet and sets of shelves. The photographer, Charles Wildbore, was a well known local, amateur photographer during the early years of the 20th century. See the 75th Jubilee Booklet of the Pohangina and Mt Richards School (1963) for a brief history of the Technical School.
The exact location of this landscape is unknown, but it is almost certainly somewhere in the upper Pohangina Valley, north of Ashhurst. The trees on the hillside have been felled by and the area is ready to be burnt off.
L-R: Reg Wildbore, Beverly Wildbore, Jack Sandbrook, Roy Williams, Ivan Lepper, Ruby Sandbrook, Norma Sandbrook, Evan Wildbore, Sylvia, Jean Sandbrook, Albert Whittaker, Jane Wildbore, Cecil Wildbore.
Portrait of Jane and Norman Wildbore.
This photograph shows a Hemp Grader examining a hank of fibre pulled out of a bale of flax fibre. A grade was assigned to each bale and this enabled overseas buyer to purchase fibre of a uniform quality. The photograph is thought to have been taken in a Wellington Harbour Board shed.
These saleyards are believed to have been situated at Pohangina Township on William Homes' farm. The historian of Manawatu saleyards Mr John McCaw gives the following history of the yards “A few years later (1895) Abraham and Williams advertised that they were operating 10 saleyards, including one at Pohangina where periodical sales were held. The yards were opened on January 11, 1895, and the capacity of the yard is quoted as 2000 sheep and 100 cattle. It was situated about 10 chains south of the township and many settlers can remember the posts and strainers still standing there until about 20 years ago”.
This photograph is one of a series made by Charles Wildbore showing the construction of the Mangahao hydro-electric power scheme in the Tararua ranges east of Shannon. This view shows the construction camp on the Mangahao River upstream from the lower Dam. The cookhouse and the men's hut are on the terrace on the left. The light suspension bridge is in the foreground and a multiple cable suspension bridge can be seen in the background.
This view shows the site of power house and the route of the pipe line. The power house was constructed at the foot of the ridge in the centre of the photograph (to the right of the wooden building on stilts). The route along which the pipe line was constructed can be seen extending from the top of the ridge to the power house site. The earthworks for the route have been completed and a tramline has been laid along the route.The Mangahao Power Station provides hydroelectric power and is situated near the town of Shannon. It serves Wellington, Horowhenua, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, and the Wairarapa. After being delayed by WWI, construction began in late 1919 and the station opened in November 1924.
“Totara Reserve” is the popular name for the 740 acre public reserve officially known as the Pohangina Valley Domain, situated on the east bank of the Pohangina River. Since 1947 this reserve has been owned by the Palmerston North City Council. This photograph shows an early motorcar on the metal road running through the reserve. The occupants of the car are unidentified.
Charlie or Stan Wildbore reaping hay, using a sickle.
This photograph is one of a series made by Charles Wildbore showing the construction of the Mangahao hydro-electric power scheme in the Tararua ranges east of Shannon. This view shows the site for the power house. the cutting for the pipeline can be seen extending up the face of the ridge on the far left of the photograph.
"Totara Reserve" is the popular name for the Pohangina Valley Domain situated on the east bank of the Pohangina River.
Charles Wildbore (1862 - 1937) depicting himself as a tinker – a travelling metal-worker - and his children, taken at Pohangina where the family lived. Charles and his wife, Jane, had 13 children. He was a beekeeper, honey producer, dairy farmer and photographer. The family moved to Pohangina in 1893 and lived on five acres in Kiwi Street. From left: Kathleen Wildbore; Mana Huia Wildbore; Sylvia Jane Wildbore; Charles E. Wildbore.