Senior Maori Warden Sam Ngatoa can be seen on the far left, George Rerekura is second from right. This image was taken as part a feature that ran in the Manawatu Evening Standard on January 17 1987 about the work of Maori Wardens in Marton. According to the story that accompanied the photographs, Maori Wardens were instituted in 1937 and by 1987 there were 2300 working voluntarily throughout in New Zealand under the jurisdiction of the Maori Wardens' Association. Before receiving their badges and warrants, trainee wardens underwent an 18 month probationary period, taking training from senior wardens and the district wardens' associations.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Maori Wardens Talking with Children in Marton
- B&W negative
- Held In