Skip to Content

More Info →Christmas Party - Rostrata Maternity Home

This image of a Christmas party is from a series of slides that shows life at Rostrata Maternity Home in the late 1950s. Situated on the corner of Ruahine and Ferguson Streets, Rostrata was owned by E B Watson who ran it as a private maternity hospital for many years. Mrs E Dujany later held the lease until 1949. The Palmerston North Hospital Board took over maternity services until 1962, when Rostrata was closed due to the Palmerston North Hospital adding 40 more beds to its Maternity section. In the 13 years that the board had Rostrata, there were 6119 patients and 5230 births. The 1973 owner converted the building into flats from the original two houses joined by annexes on the one acre section. The old trees, including a large Australian red gum will remain.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2017Sl_2017-18_024466
Title
Christmas Party - Rostrata Maternity Home
Relation
Z Collection - 2017/18
Format
Slide
Held In
Coolstore

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of Ruahine and Ferguson Street, Palmerston North
Date
1957 to 1958

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Report a problem

User comments