This is a replica of a steam locomotive called "Palmerston" which served the Foxton-Palmerston North line. It was built in 1872 in Dunedin and shipped to Foxton. It is considered to be the first locomotive entirely made in the country (previous engines were prefabricated elsewhere). It could reach a top speed of 16kph along the railways wooded tracks (which was also being used by horse drawn trams). Being so under powered, it was replaced in 1875 or 1876 by two new engines - the "Skunk" and the "Wallaby". The former is now on display in Greymouth.
This replica was built in 1993.