Shown here is the old Fellmongery at the Longburn Freezing works. In 1890, the Longburn Slaughtering and Freezing Company established the freezing works just south of Palmerston North. Initially capital was insufficient and the business fell into the hands of Liquidators, then bought by the National Mortgage and Agency Company. The works were again sold to the Co-operative Wholesale Society (U.K) in 1940. They closed in October 1987.