Skip to Content

The Otaki Sanatorium was opened by Dr Newman of the Wellington Hospital Board on 24th May 1907. Housing male and female Tuberculosis patients until 1919, the Sanatorium was used for a few years from 1917 for returned and camp soldiers with TB. From 1919 the sanatorium only accepted female patients, accepting males again in 1956. The buildings, designed by architect Frederick de Jersey Clere were renovated in 1926-1927, and in 1949-1951 an extension to the East Deck was added. Palmerston North Hospital Board ran the Sanatorium from 1933 - 1944 and 1959 – 1964. In 1964 the Palmerston North Hospital Board, facing a bill for improved sewage disposal, passed the Sanatorium on to the Kimberley Hospital & Training School until 1985. The Sanatorium was built with public donations, local body and government subsidies and was demolished in 1997.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007P_Ot4_RTL_0844
Title
Otaki Sanatorium
Held In
Coolstore
Date
circa 1950 to circa 1959

Related items

Otaki River
Otaki River
Otaki River
Otaki River
Otaki River
Interior of the Rangiātea Māori Church, Otaki
"City Child's Recovery : Playing on her Scooter"
"City Child's Recovery : In a Cheeky Mood"
Aerial view of Palmerston North Public Hospital
Cobalt Machine at Palmerston North Public Hospital
Palmerston North Public Hospital
Recovery Room at Palmerston North Public Hospital

Creation

Created By

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
health,
otaki,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Otaki River
Otaki River
Otaki River
Otaki River
Otaki River
Interior of the Rangiātea Māori Church, Otaki
"City Child's Recovery : Playing on her Scooter"
"City Child's Recovery : In a Cheeky Mood"
Aerial view of Palmerston North Public Hospital
Cobalt Machine at Palmerston North Public Hospital
Palmerston North Public Hospital
Recovery Room at Palmerston North Public Hospital