Skip to Content

More Info →Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street

St Josephs Convent, run by the Sisters of Mercy, began in Fitchett Street in 1910, and later expanded into Pirie and Carroll Streets, on leasehold land. This building was constructed in Carroll Street c1891, and was the Carow Ladies’ College (also known as the Carow Girls’ Collegiate School) until about 1902, and was then owned by Duncan Matheson. He sold it to the Catholic Church, and in 1923 the building was cut in half and moved on rollers to the south side of Fitchett street, where it became the St Joseph’s Convent High School until 1974. The building was demolished in the 1990s to make way for a retirement village.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2017N_2017-53_021025
Title
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Relation
Z Collection - 2017-53
Format
Colour negative
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Chimneys from Demolished House Left Standing
Demolition of Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Railway Hall
"Old Building Removed From Section"

Creation

Created By
Date
October 31, 1993

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Chimneys from Demolished House Left Standing
Demolition of Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Railway Hall
"Old Building Removed From Section"

User comments