A wall of the PDC exposed during construction of The Plaza shopping mall.
Caccia Birch House was designed by L. G. West and built for Jacob Nannestad, a sawmiller, in about 1892. After being sold to Jack Strang in 1903 the house was extensively enlarged, both by him and by the New Zealand Government during the time it was leased to them for use as Government House (1908-1910). In 1921 the house was sold to William Caccia Birch. After Caccia Birch's death it was gifted to the NZ Government, in 1941, and was variously used by the army in WWII, as a convalescent home for nurses, and by both Victoria and Massey Universities. The house has been owned by Palmerston North City Council since 1984 and has been restored and renovated as a conference and function centre. It is a Category 1 listed building with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust because of its historical and architectural and community significance.
The Regent Theatre was built by the Australasian cinema and theatre chain J.C. Williamson Limited. Williamson's began its New Zealand operation in 1926. The theatre, one of several Regents built throughout New Zealand and Australia at this time, was a dual-purpose cinema and theatre. The Melbourne architect Charles Hollinshed was hired to design the building which was completed in 1930 at a cost of £46,000, becoming the largest and most lavish auditorium in the city. It retained its twin functions for much of its life, before falling into relative disuse and eventually closing in 1991. The Palmerston North City Council purchased the building 1993 and began restoration work in 1996.