Tiger was a Great Dane belonging to Captain Harding Waipuke Leaf (Ngā Puhi), of the Māori Battalion. Harding and Tiger trained at the Palmerston North Showgrounds between January and May of 1940. The images were taken by Keith Collinson, of the family who owned the Collinson & Cunninghame's department store. He was a Sergeant based in the Records Department at the Showgrounds. On the back of the photographs Keith wrote, “Mascot of the Māori Battalion.”
Images contributed by Keith's great-nephew, Palmerston North City Councillor, Mark Arnott.