This photograph was commissioned by the bank to document the construction of the new building. The first branch of the Bank of New South Wales opened in the Royal Hotel (1901-1905). On January 1 1906, the branch moved into a leased building on Main Street opposite the Post Office. On October 27 1914, the bank moved into these purpose-built premises at 18 Rangitikei Street. This was demolished to make way for a new building, which was occupied May 29 1967. Customers were briefly served by the city's mayor (G M Rennie) and Mayoress, as well as the wives of both the Chief Manager and Branch Manager.
- Created By
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library