The first Mauriceville West School was a tiny slab building constructed by the Scandinavian settlers in 1875, on the Education reserve at the centre of the town. It was replaced in 1877 by a small pit-sawn timber school house and in 1886 by the two-roomed structure shown here, which was used at least until the 1950's. The headmaster shown here is probably Johnson. School attendance was never good at Mauriceville in its early days, when the syllabus was primarily concerned with anglicising the young Scandinavians.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Mauriceville School Class Photograph
- Held In