Tree stumps on Te Motu o Poutoa.
Poutoa was an ancestor of Rangitāne. His descendants include Paewai, Te Awe Awe, Te Rangiotu and other families.
The land was purchased from Kairanga County Council as Anzac Park in 1916. It is assumed that at some point prior to this date, the Patriotic Society renamed the park. Later it was also informally referred to as Pork Chop Hill.
From 1962-63, the site changed significantly. A ridge was lowered 20 metres to form the plateau that exists today and in 1964-65, a lookout station, car park and picnic spots were formed. The Palmerston North Astronomical Society observatory was built in 1971.
Te Motu o Poutoa will be co-managed by Council and Rangitāne as partners following the adoption of the Kawenata in relation to Te Motu o Poutoa.