Skip to Content

More Info →Rangiotu Army Camp

During World War One Manawaroa Te Awe Awe offered the Government the use of part of his farm for a training camp, to replace the camp at Trentham (Wellington) which had been evacuated. Samuel Jickell, Palmerston North Borough Council Civil Engineer, prepared a comprehensive report on the drainage, sanitation and water supply of Trentham Military Camp, and when he laid out the Rangiotu camp near Palmerston North in 1915 he made sure that the poor conditions at Trentham were not repeated. During 1915 men from the 1st & 2nd New Zealand Rifle Brigade and the Earl of Liverpool’s Own Regiment used the land. Initially the camp was situated where the Rangiotu School was but later it moved 1 mile west, opposite Pyke’s Road. The entire camp was moved by hand and occupied approx. 3000 acres and could accommodate 2,000 men. To avoid cutting up the ground, no wheeled vehicles were allowed in the camp.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_A28_WAR_0004
Title
Rangiotu Army Camp
Relation
Public Photograph Collection A 28
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Rangiotu Army Camp
N.Z. Rifle Brigade, Rangiotu Camp
Rangiotu Army Camp
Trooper O Anderson
Sergeant W.F. Barber, winner of the Godley Cup
Awapuni Race Course Memorial
Private T W Preece
Unveiling of the War Memorial, The Square
Young soldiers of "J" Battery at training camp
Sergeant George Kendall
Private Harold Leonard Hart
Armistice Day parade in Rongotea

Creation

Created By
Place
Manawatu
Date
July 1915 to August 1915

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Rangiotu Army Camp
N.Z. Rifle Brigade, Rangiotu Camp
Rangiotu Army Camp
Trooper O Anderson
Sergeant W.F. Barber, winner of the Godley Cup
Awapuni Race Course Memorial
Private T W Preece
Unveiling of the War Memorial, The Square
Young soldiers of "J" Battery at training camp
Sergeant George Kendall
Private Harold Leonard Hart
Armistice Day parade in Rongotea

User comments