Skip to Content

Black and White photographs of Caccia Birch taken pre-restoriation circa 1980. The purpose of the photographs was to show the state of the house and grounds before submissions were made to council and the Ministry of Works.

First built in 1892 by Jacob Nannerstad, a local sawmiller, the house was one of the preeminent buildings of early Palmerston North. Extensive renovations were undertaken in 1905 by the new owner, John Strang, with the addition of two conservatories, a coach house and attached cottage. From 1908 to 1910 the house was home to Lord Plunket, with the house being sold to William Caccia-Birch in 1921.0 Although Wiliam died in 1936, his widow maintained the house until 1939, whereupon the house was donated to New Zealand Government as part of the war effort. After the war, the house was variously owned by the Department of Health, Victoria University, Massey College & Palmerston North Teachers College, before finally being passed to the Palmerston North City Council.


Object type
PNCC Series 7/1/2
circa 1980
Digitisation ID
B&W print
Held In
PNCC Archives


Community Tags
caccia birch house,

Report a problem