Skip to Content

More Info →Chief Post Office, Palmerston North

Designed by J Charlesworth and built by J Trevor and Son in 1905, this building served as the Chief Post Office until 1988 when new premises were opened in Princess Street. It is now a café / restaurant. In 1942, the clock tower was weakened by the Wairarapa earthquake and removed. After years in storage, the clock was rehoused in the clock tower in The Square, in 1957.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Po33_007521
Title
Chief Post Office, Palmerston North
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Po 33
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Chief Post Office, Palmerston North
Palace Theatre
Main Post Office
A Colour Postcard of Broad Street from Princess Street
Railway Station in Main Street
Clarendon Hotel on West end of the Square
Rangitikei Street in the 1920s
A View of Coleman Place
Leary's Pharmacy under Construction, The Square
A Sunny Day in The Square
Colour Postcard of “South View” of the Square
The Square, Palmerston North

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
circa 1915

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags
historic places trust,

Report a problem

Related items

Chief Post Office, Palmerston North
Palace Theatre
Main Post Office
A Colour Postcard of Broad Street from Princess Street
Railway Station in Main Street
Clarendon Hotel on West end of the Square
Rangitikei Street in the 1920s
A View of Coleman Place
Leary's Pharmacy under Construction, The Square
A Sunny Day in The Square
Colour Postcard of “South View” of the Square
The Square, Palmerston North

User comments