Skip to Content

More Info →Construction of Palmerston North Chief Post Office

A new two-storey brick Post Office, complete with clock tower, was constructed on the corner of The Square and Main Street east, Palmerston North, in 1905-1906. It remained in use as a Post Office until 1988. It currently houses a bar and cafe called Highflyers (2007). The crowd is listening to Sir Joseph Ward, then Postmaster-General, probably when a plaque, to commemorate commencement of work, was laid.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Po3_A-E_0332
Title
Construction of Palmerston North Chief Post Office
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Po 3
Held In
Research File

Related items

Construction of Palmerston North Chief Post Office
Picnic group and bus
Duchess of York and Guide Leader Charlotte Warburton in Palmerston North
Crowds at Awapuni Racecourse
Awapuni Racecourse
Unveiling of the War Memorial, The Square
Unveiling of Te Peeti Statue, The Square
Opening of Bruce Park, Silverhope, Hunterville
Athletics Day at PNBHS Sports Ground
Visit of Duke of Gloucester
Crowds in front of Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Athletics Day at PNBHS Sports Ground

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of The Sqaure and Main Street, Palmerston North
Date
1905

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags
historic places trust,

Report a problem

Related items

Construction of Palmerston North Chief Post Office
Picnic group and bus
Duchess of York and Guide Leader Charlotte Warburton in Palmerston North
Crowds at Awapuni Racecourse
Awapuni Racecourse
Unveiling of the War Memorial, The Square
Unveiling of Te Peeti Statue, The Square
Opening of Bruce Park, Silverhope, Hunterville
Athletics Day at PNBHS Sports Ground
Visit of Duke of Gloucester
Crowds in front of Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Athletics Day at PNBHS Sports Ground

User comments