This photograph is part of a collection relating to the Mangahao Electric Power Scheme and its construction. The Scheme provides hydroelectric power, and is situated near the town of Shannon. It serves Wellington, Horowhenua, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, and the Wairarapa. After being delayed by the first world war construction began in late 1919 and the station opened in November 1924. The large white building in the right-hand middle distance is the office.