Taken from the Opiki side of the river and looking towards Palmerston North. The chimney is of the “Tane” flax mill, owned by the Tane Hemp Co. Ltd, a four-stripper mill which operated 1916-1920. The Opiki suspension bridge, across the Manawatu River, was constructed 1917-1918 by the Tane Hemp Co. Ltd., and operated as a traffic toll bridge from the early 1920s until 1969. The toll-keeper's house is at far left. The suspension bridge was known for many years as the Opiki Toll Bridge. It is unused but can still be seen today (2007).
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Opiki suspension bridge and old mill chimney, Rangitāne
- Held In