Photo taken by Terry Finnerty, photographer. The Post office building is on the far left. It is on the other side of the rail tracks (obscured), which became Main Street in 1964.
The next group of businesses include Brownings Shoe Store Ltd at number 2, and Mowlem's Pharmacy Ltd. This group of buildings was demolished in 1963 to make way for the construction of a large building on the corner site. It was to accommodate a new public library, with its entrance on Main Street.
The Watson Brothers Ltd building remained, next to the Meteor picture theatre at number 9. Further along is Millar & Georgi, clothing store, local agents for "Sincerity Ready To Wear Suits". In the next building, Rees Furnishing Co Ltd can be seen.
In the foreground is the statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe, Rangitāne iwi leader (c1820-1884).
Further distant is the steeple of St Patrick's Church on Broadway Avenue.