Privately owned at first, these gasworks were brought into operation on 26th February, 1889. 150 men and women assembled at the works to witness the formal turning on of the gas in the town. At 7.30pm Mrs MacArthur performed the ceremony, after which a banquet was held in a marquee. "After the gas was turned on, The Square presented a brilliant appearance”. The contractors were Cook and Company. It was decided on June 13, 1914 to approach the Ratepayers for a loan to purchase the gasworks. A poll was taken on April 22, 1914 and the motion was carried 711 to 270. The Manager is indicated by an arrow on the photograph.