This photograph looks east towards The Square. In the centre of the photograph is the clock tower of the old Post Office, removed as an earthquake risk in 1942. Quite distinct is the curve in the train line running through The Square. The street that runs through the centre of the photograph is Main Street. The Milson deviation opened in 1960 followed by the new railway station off Tremaine Avenue in 1963, removing the need for trains to travel through the centre of the city and down Main Street.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Railway Yards, Main Street, Palmerston North
- Held In