The first minister of the Danish Lutheran Church at Mauriceville West was George Sass who arrived in 1878. George Sass was instrumental in having the church built in a similar style to ones in Denmark by local Scandinavians. Opening on 24 August 1884, it sat 150 people, austere in design with a large square tower.The Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1897, noted: "Mauriceville Lutheran Church is a handsome wooden building standing on an eminence in Mauriceville West. Accommodation is provided for about 200 worshippers. Services are held weekly. The Rev. Mads Christensen is the minister in charge."The dwindling population meant that after 1916 the church could no longer support a minister. It then started to fall into decay. It was demolished and replaced in 1957.