Located on corner of Church Street and Pitt Street, the sculpture is constructed of six railway wheels and commemorates the significant role that the site played in the history of Palmerston North. The railway was once based in The Square but after causing bottlenecks the station was moved to the area we now know as the Railway Land around 1891.
The wheels are a gift to the city from rail enthusiast Tony Batchelor. He was granted permission to excavate them from the Oreti River, near Invercargill, in the 1990s. They’d been put in the river in the 1920s to stop the banks eroding.