Skip to Content

Rostrata, photographed just prior to its demolition (June 1973). Situated on the corner of Ruahine and Ferguson Streets, Rostrata was owned by E B Watson who ran it as a private maternity hospital for many years. Mrs E Dujany later held the lease until 1949. The Palmerston North Hospital Board took over maternity services until 1962, when Rostrata was closed due to the Palmerston North Hospital adding 40 more beds to its Maternity section. In the 13 years that the board had Rostrata, there were 6119 patients and 5230 births. The 1973 owner converted the building into flats from the original two houses joined by annexes on the one acre section. The old trees, including a large Australian red gum will remain.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2008N_Bur97_BUI_1859
Title
Rostrata
Held In
Coolstore
License
contact_us

Related items

Rostrata
Rostrata Nurse Aids
Rostrata Nurse Aids
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Baby - Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Joyce Una Baker - Rostrata Maternity Home

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of Ruahine and Ferguson Street, Palmerston North
Date
June 21, 1973

Object rights

Credit Line
Manawatu Evening Standard

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Rostrata
Rostrata Nurse Aids
Rostrata Nurse Aids
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Baby - Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Joyce Una Baker - Rostrata Maternity Home

User comments