Skip to Content

More Info →Rostrata Nurse Aids

This photograph shows a group of nurse aids employed at Rostrata Maternity Home. Zena Bourke can be seen first on the left (standing) and the matron is fifth from left (standing). The building was situated on the corner of Ruahine and Ferguson Streets and owned by E B Watson who ran it as a private maternity hospital for many years. Mrs E Dujany later held the lease until 1949. The Palmerston North Hospital Board took over maternity services until 1962, when Rostrata was closed due to the Palmerston North Hospital adding 40 more beds to its Maternity section. In the 13 years that the board had Rostrata, there were 6119 patients and 5230 births. The 1973 owner converted the building into flats from the original two houses joined by annexes on the one acre section. The old trees, including a large Australian red gum remained.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2015P_IMCA-DigitalArchive_011107
Title
Rostrata Nurse Aids
Relation
Digital Photograph Collection, with no hardcopy held
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive

Related items

Rostrata Nurse Aids
Rostrata Nurse Aids
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Baby - Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Joyce Una Baker - Rostrata Maternity Home

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of Ruahine and Ferguson Street, Palmerston North
Date
1951

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Rostrata Nurse Aids
Rostrata Nurse Aids
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Baby - Rostrata Maternity Home
Nurses - Rostrata Maternity Home
Joyce Una Baker - Rostrata Maternity Home

User comments