In 1912 four moa footprints were found close to the Fitzroy Street section of the river. Their discovery was one of the first of its kind in New Zealand.
They were found by Henry Cole after a flood had washed away the bank exposing the footprints in a bed of stiff blue clay, called papa. Initially the prints were cut out of the papa. While these no longer exist plaster casts were also made and these are held by Te Manawa, the museum of Palmerston North.
The moa in question was probably a large species called Dinornis novaezelandiae. The footprints found measured 45.5cm wide and just over 30cm from the tip of its middle toe to its heel. Its stride was 76 cm.