Skip to Content

More Info →Awapuni Lagoon

Awapuni Lagoon was one of 5 original lagoons in Palmerson North when pakeha arrived for settlement. It was later drained. Written in pencil on the old print are the words: “Awapuni Lagoon 1881. Returning to Pah from Waldegraves”. Note the old wharepuni on the right, part of the Awapuni Maori settlement between the Foxton - Palmerston North Road and the northern bank of the Lagoon. The people in the canoe are probably the Mr and Mrs W H Luxford and daughter.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Awa1_EPN_0252
Title
Awapuni Lagoon
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Awapuni Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
Charles Dahl's beach house
Canoeing During the Rangiotu Flood
Mrs Annie Nairn and children
Fitzherbert East - Aokautere School Committee
Opening of the Palmerston North Butts
Residence of Charles Dahl, Duke Street
Fitzherbert East - Aokautere School
Upper Manawatu Gorge Bridge
Crossing the Manwatu River by punt at Ashhurst
Artillery display by Army Volunteers

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1881

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags
waka,
wharenui,

Report a problem

Related items

Awapuni Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
Charles Dahl's beach house
Canoeing During the Rangiotu Flood
Mrs Annie Nairn and children
Fitzherbert East - Aokautere School Committee
Opening of the Palmerston North Butts
Residence of Charles Dahl, Duke Street
Fitzherbert East - Aokautere School
Upper Manawatu Gorge Bridge
Crossing the Manwatu River by punt at Ashhurst
Artillery display by Army Volunteers

User comments