From left: The Bank of New Zealand building was erected on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square in 1878. It stood on part of Section 671. In 1902 the building was transported to a site in Church Street West. The building occupied by W Dixon, painter and decorator, stood on part of section 673 and was destroyed by fire in April 1891. The building on the right of Dixon's (with the three rounded tops) was occupied by Gillett Bros, wholesale wine and spirits merchants, until being taken over by the Salvation Army for their barracks in 1884. It was demolished during the early 1890s when the Colonial Bank erected a two storey brick building. To the right of this building is a house with a verandah. This seems to have stood on section 838, and was owned by the Church of England. The wooden spire of All Saints Church can be seen above Gillett Bros building. This church was erected in 1882 and so provides a valuable clue for dating this photograph.