A project got underway in 2014 to clean up and restore the Awapuni Memorial at the Palmerston North Racecourse. This photograph shows one of the old race course buildings adjacent to the memorial on the day of some of the early work in clearing the site. The work was carried out by the 2nd Health Support Battalion of the New Zealand Army based at Linton Camp, and Council staff volunteers.
The memorial, dedicated to the memory of officers and men of the New Zealand Medical Corps (1914-1918) who were trained at Awapuni Racecourse during WWI, was erected in 1929. The memorial is a stone cairn fountain, inside a pool constructed in the shape of a cross.