Skip to Content

More Info →Maori Anglican Church, Moutoa

The Historic Turongo Anglican Church was originally built from local timber c1879 at Moutoa. Being built upon a small hill with somewhat sandy foundation, Turongo fell into decay. This building is said to be the third on the same site. In the 1930s local elders gathered up the sound totara and re-erected this smaller building from the old timber. It was rededicated 5 March 1937 by the Bishop of Aotearoa, assisted by Canon W. G. Williams and Reverends P. H. Leonard, P. Temuera and H. Rangiihu of Hawke's Bay. The church was moved to Poutu Marae near Shannon in 1965.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2015P_Fo83_011481
Title
Maori Anglican Church, Moutoa
Format
B&W print
Held In
Coolstore
Archive
Petersen Collection

Related items

Opening of Maori Battalion Hall
Opening of Maori Battalion Hall
Rangiātea Maori Church, Otaki
"Tribal Welcome for "Maori" Cast"
Maori Anglican Church, Moutoa
Maori Anglican Church, Moutoa
Interior of the Rangiatea Maori Church, Otaki
Opening of Maori Battalion Hall
Maori Children with Bowler Hat
Maori sleeping house, Manawatu Museum
Dominion Conference of Maori Welfare League Begins
Maori Wardens Talking with Children in Marton

Creation

Created By
Date
1950s

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags
church,
wharenui,

Report a problem

Related items

Opening of Maori Battalion Hall
Opening of Maori Battalion Hall
Rangiātea Maori Church, Otaki
"Tribal Welcome for "Maori" Cast"
Maori Anglican Church, Moutoa
Maori Anglican Church, Moutoa
Interior of the Rangiatea Maori Church, Otaki
Opening of Maori Battalion Hall
Maori Children with Bowler Hat
Maori sleeping house, Manawatu Museum
Dominion Conference of Maori Welfare League Begins
Maori Wardens Talking with Children in Marton

User comments