The Fitchett Street Convent was the third built for the Sisters of Mercy in Palmerston North. It was designed by Clere and Clere and built by Trevor Bros in 1925 -1926. It was orginally part of a complex of buildings, with two primary schools and a girls high school adjacent to it. The sisters moved out of the building to live in the community after the schools were closed, in 1982. The three storied, brick building was demolished by the Catholic Church in 1984. The decision to destroy the old convent provoked lengthy controversy. The photograph was taken just before demoliton in May - June, 1984.
- Momo rauemi
- Tautuhi matihiko
- Mercy Convent, Fitchett Street
- E puritia ana ki