The Fitchett Street Convent was the third built for the Sisters of Mercy in Palmerston North. It was designed by Clere and Clere and built by Trevor Bros in 1925 -1926. It was orginally part of a complex of buildings, with two primary schools and a girls high school adjacent to it. The sisters moved out of the building to live in the community after the schools were closed, in 1982. The three storied, brick building was demolished by the Catholic Church in 1984. The decision to destroy the old convent provoked lengthy controversy. This photograph was taken just before demolition in May – June 1984.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Mercy Convent, Fitchett Street
- Held In