Skip to Content

'Highden' was designed by Frederick de Jersey Clere and built in 1898 for the Honourable Walter Woods Johnston. In 1903 a wing, designed by C T Natusch, was added. Highden was bought by the Society of Mary in 1923 and occupied by the Marist Brothers. Novices would spend 1, of their 8 - 9 years of training for the Priesthood, at Highden. In 1990 it was again sold, as a Bed and Breakfast, and then in 2000 for an international school. It has since changed hands again and goes under the name Highden Manor Estate.

To the left can be seen the dormitory accommodation with a walkway to the house, that was built on during its time as a seminary.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
IMCA Digital Archive
Date
2021
Digitisation ID
2021Pa_IMCA-DigitalArchive_034777
Format
Born Digital
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive

Related items

Collins family and home, Newbury
Commercial Hotel 1950s- 1960s
Plan for proposed alterations to Everybody's Theatre
All Saints Church and Grand Hotel
Group on the verandah of the Masonic Hotel
Construction of Chateau Tongariro
Construction of Chateau Tongariro
Railway Hotel, Taumarunui
Foxton Family Hotel
Foxton Floral Committee
White Horse Inn, Longburn
People in front of thermal pool and the Grande Vue Private Hotel,  Rotorua

Taxonomy

Tags
hotels,
houses,
seminary,
two storey residence,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Collins family and home, Newbury
Commercial Hotel 1950s- 1960s
Plan for proposed alterations to Everybody's Theatre
All Saints Church and Grand Hotel
Group on the verandah of the Masonic Hotel
Construction of Chateau Tongariro
Construction of Chateau Tongariro
Railway Hotel, Taumarunui
Foxton Family Hotel
Foxton Floral Committee
White Horse Inn, Longburn
People in front of thermal pool and the Grande Vue Private Hotel,  Rotorua