The Golden Gate Milk Bar was situated at 78 Courtenay Place, Wellington, opposite the St James Theatre. It was owned and operated by Peter Bares 1935-1942. Peter Bares was born in Greece and emigrated to New Zealand in 1930. In 1945 he moved to Palmerston North when he bought the Royale Dutch luncheon and tearooms. From left: Unknown; Kleoniki Ververis, sister of Peter Bares (Panayioti Ververis); Linda Hardy; Shirley Walsh; Loretta ?. Further information can be found on the Bares family and businesses at IMCA A175/381-R.