Skip to Content

More Info →Rosco's Department Store

The C M Ross Co. Ltd was one of the foremost department stores in Palmerston North. The business was established by Charles Ross in 1883, and this building was constructed in 1927-1928, replacing a number of buildings on The Square. It linked through to Coleman Mall and George Street buildings. The business was sold in 1959 to Milne and Choyce and later was bought out by the DIC, then Arthur Barnetts. It was sold to the Palmerston North City Council and after extensive renovation opened as the Palmerston North City Library in 1996. The ornate structure to the right of Rosco's is the King Edward VII Coronation Fountain which was constructed in August 1902. It was originally placed in the centre of The Square but was moved in 1925 to make way for the War Memorial. It was relocated to the middle of the pond near the Coleman Mall corner of The Square, where it remained until it was again moved, close to the corner of The Square and Broadway in 2005.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq378_008965
Title
Rosco's Department Store
Relation
CA: Alkire Papers; Public Photograph Collection Sq 378
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Rosco's Department Store
Bus Station in The Square
C M Ross Co. Department Store, The Square
C M Ross Building (Roscos Deparment Store), The Square
C M Ross department store dressed for Christmas
Display Windows of C M Ross department store, The Square
C M Ross Co Ltd lit up for its 50th jubilee
A View of Coleman Place
Statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe, The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
CM Ross Building, 1940s
T & G Building, Broadway Avenue

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1937 to 1939

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Rosco's Department Store
Bus Station in The Square
C M Ross Co. Department Store, The Square
C M Ross Building (Roscos Deparment Store), The Square
C M Ross department store dressed for Christmas
Display Windows of C M Ross department store, The Square
C M Ross Co Ltd lit up for its 50th jubilee
A View of Coleman Place
Statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe, The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
CM Ross Building, 1940s
T & G Building, Broadway Avenue

User comments