Skip to Content

Originally a metal pit for New Zealand Railways, this land was purchased by the City Council in 1940 for a park development. The eastern end was developed into a cycle track, sports arena and skating rink between 1951 – 1954. Mitchell Excavators were contracted to do the concrete and forming work of the cycle track. In 1954 the park was renamed Memorial Park when a memorial dedicated to those who died in the two World Wars, was unveiled.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
IMCA Digital Archive
Date
1951 to 1954
Digitisation ID
2010P_IMCA-DigitalArchive_3589
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive

Related items

Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Constuction of Fitzroy Park Cycle Track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
"All Ready for the Championships" - Cycling
Unveiling of War Memorial, Memorial Park
Unveiling of War Memorial, Memorial Park
Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End

Creation

Created By
Place
Main Street, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
1950s,
construction,
cycling,
fitzroy park,
gravel pit,
memorial park,
pncc,
sport,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Constuction of Fitzroy Park Cycle Track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
"All Ready for the Championships" - Cycling
Unveiling of War Memorial, Memorial Park
Unveiling of War Memorial, Memorial Park
Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End