Skip to Content

Originally a metal pit for New Zealand Railways, this land was purchased by the City Council in 1940 for a park development. The eastern end was developed into a cycle track, sports arena and skating rink between 1951 – 1954. Mitchell Excavators were contracted to do the concrete and forming work of the cycle track. In 1954 the park was renamed Memorial Park when a memorial dedicated to those who died in the two World Wars, was unveiled.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010P_IMCA-DigitalMaster_3587
Title
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive
Relation
IMCA Digital Archive
Date
1951 to 1954

Related items

Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Constuction of Fitzroy Park Cycle Track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Widening road on Lombard Street
Palmerston North Golf Course, Brightwater Terrace
Construction of Fitzroy Park
Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
construction,
cycling,
digger,
fitzroy park,
gravel pit,
pncc,
sport,
tractor,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Constuction of Fitzroy Park Cycle Track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Widening road on Lombard Street
Palmerston North Golf Course, Brightwater Terrace
Construction of Fitzroy Park
Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End