The Norwegians in Mauriceville were organised by the Methodist minister Edward Nielson, and opened the first church in the Forty Mile Bush on July 9 1881. It cost the community £149 17s. 0d, could hold 120 people it was modeled on Norwegian architecture, especially the tapering, thin, high shingled steeple and cross. Men sat on the right, the women, wearing traditional scarves, on the left. As Scandinavians left the area attendance at the church fell into decline and the Church was eventually closed. The building sits on a hill above North Road, in Mauriceville North and has a Category 1 Historic Places listing. Special services were still being held in 2011.