The building on the left corner of Rangitikei Street is the Bank of New Zealand, built on the old Royal Hotel site in 1915. On the far left corner of the Square and Church Street East is the Maple Furniture Store. Opposite this is the Club Hotel. This became the PDC building in 1930 and is now the home of the Plaza shopping centre. The statue of Te Awe Awe, built in 1907, is just below this in the Square. Pegden's building is second left from Fitzherbert Avenue and the Municipal Library is the building on the corner of the Square and Fitzherbert Avenue. The Majestic Hotel is visible in the distance down Fitzherbert Avenue (it is no longer standing). The Band Rotunda is in the middle of the Square beside the Railway Line and stood there from 1907 to 1956 when it was pulled down to make way for the Hopwood Clock Tower. The Ladies Rest (which would have been recently built when this photograph was taken) is partially obscured by trees on the midsection of the photograph on the left side.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- A View of the Square from Rangitikei Street
- Held In