Skip to Content

More Info →Ballroom Astoria

The Astoria Ballroom, was originally built as Her Majesty’s Theatre, and ran as such 1911-1915. It was then used as a skating rink, auction rooms and for storage until returning to theatre use as the Paramount, then the De Luxe (1924-1930). It continued use as the De Luxe Skating rink, the De Luxe Dance Hall, the Coconut Grove Dance Hall (1936-1942), ANA Dance Hall, George Street Dance Hall and eventually the Astoria Ballroom from approximately 1948-1984. The Astoria Ballroom was managed by Astoria Promotions, formed in 1964, who leased the ballroom from Recreation Manawatu Ltd, a subsidiary company of Kerridge Odeon Corp. Ltd. The large hall/ballroom was demolished in 1984 but the facade remains. The building is now used for retail.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2009N_Bc168_BUI_2411
Title
Ballroom Astoria
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bc 168
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Ballroom Astoria
Hall construction
Ballroom Astoria building, George Street
"Stalls Kept Busy" Labour Party Bazaar
"A Night to Remember" Debutantes Assembling Before Presentation
"A Night To Remember" Semicircle of Debutantes
"A Night To Remember" Presentation and curtsy
"Members at R.S.A. Ball"
Busk Palmy 2018
Busk Palmy 2018
Busk Palmy 2018
Busk Palmy 2018

Creation

Created By
Place
54 George Street, Palmerston North
Date
April 17, 1980

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Ballroom Astoria
Hall construction
Ballroom Astoria building, George Street
"Stalls Kept Busy" Labour Party Bazaar
"A Night to Remember" Debutantes Assembling Before Presentation
"A Night To Remember" Semicircle of Debutantes
"A Night To Remember" Presentation and curtsy
"Members at R.S.A. Ball"
Busk Palmy 2018
Busk Palmy 2018
Busk Palmy 2018
Busk Palmy 2018

User comments