Taken from the top of Rosco Department Store, looking down on the Coronation Fountain. The fountain was built in 1902 to mark the coronation of King Edward VII. It was moved to the location seen in the photograph to make way for the War Memorial (built 1925). A birdbath surrounded the fountain and the overflow filled the goldfish pond below. The fountain was moved again in 2005 and now sits near the Ladies' Rest. The Rosco building, built in 1928, serves as the City Library today. In the background are some noticeable city features, such as the Regent Theatre, St Patrick's spire and the Post Office clock tower. The Australasian Temperance and General Mutual Life Assurance Society Ltd (T&G) building is still to be built (1937).
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Coronation Fountain in The Square
- Held In