This walking tour guides visitors through Terrace End Cemetery providing details of the cemetery and those whose remains are buried there, including many notable early residents of Palmerston North.
This walk was first researched and compiled by Palmerston North City Archivist, Ian Matheson, in 1986. It was adapted for the Friends of Terrace End Cemetery by Dorothy Pilkington in 1995.
Terrace End Cemetery came into use in Palmerston North in 1875. It was superseded by the Kelvin Grove Cemetery in 1927. It is divided into denominational divisions and 'public reserves' for stillborn babies and the poor. The total number of recorded burials is about 10,000.