The photograph for this postcard was taken soon after the opening of the new Palmerston North Post Office in 1906. It was built on the site of previous one, on the corner of Main Street and The Square. The building was later extended along Main Street, and the tower was removed after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, as it was considered unsafe. The clock and chimes were put into storage until reinstated in a clock tower in The Square, which was completed in 1957. The Post Office building is now used as a restaurant and bar. See also 2007p_go35_gor_0702 for another example in this series.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Postcard of the Post Office, Palmerston North
- Held In