Skip to Content

This building was Palmerston North’s fourth Post Office, operating from 1906-1988. It was extended towards Broadway and up Main Street in the early 1920s and in 1937. It was originally built with a clock tower but this was removed in 1942 for safety reasons and the clock and chimes were re-housed in the ‘new’ clock tower in The Square in 1957. The building is currently used as a bar and cafe. (2008)

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2008P_Z5139_BUI_0934
Title
Former Post Office building, corner of The Square and Main Street
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive
Date
1988

Related items

The Square, from Main Street to Broadway
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Main Post Office, The Square
Grand Hotel building, corner of The Square and Church Street
Rangitikei Street shops
George Street, between Coleman Place and Cuba Street
The Square, Between Rangitikei Street and Coleman Mall
Former Public Library, corner of The Square and Main Street
Hopwoods Mitre 10 and Bennett's bookshop, Broadway
Former Returned Servicemen's Club and Midland Hotel, corner of George and Cuba Streets
Main Staircase of Caccia Birch House

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
1980s,
buildings,
colour,
historic places trust,
palmerston north,
photographs,
post office,
the square,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Square, from Main Street to Broadway
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Main Post Office, The Square
Grand Hotel building, corner of The Square and Church Street
Rangitikei Street shops
George Street, between Coleman Place and Cuba Street
The Square, Between Rangitikei Street and Coleman Mall
Former Public Library, corner of The Square and Main Street
Hopwoods Mitre 10 and Bennett's bookshop, Broadway
Former Returned Servicemen's Club and Midland Hotel, corner of George and Cuba Streets
Main Staircase of Caccia Birch House