Methodist services were first held in Palmerston North in 1874. Lord Islington, the Governor of New Zealand, laid the foundation stone of the new St Pauls, which replaced the former wooden church. Among the guests at the ceremony were the Mayor and Mayoress, Mr and Mrs Nash, Mr. T. McKenzie, the Minister of Agriculture and Mr and Mrs Buick M.P. The ceremony was directed by the Reverend G W J Spence with nearly 700 people attending the function. The building was designed by James Bennie of Wellington and constructed by local builders, Sollitt Bros. Ltd. It opened August 1911.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- St Pauls Methodist Church, Broadway Avenue
- Held In