Skip to Content

Caccia Birch House was designed by L. G. West and built for Jacob Nannestad, a sawmiller, in about 1892. After being sold to Jack Strang in 1903 the house was extensively enlarged, both by him and by the New Zealand Government during the time it was leased to them for use as Government House (1908-1910). In 1921 the house was sold to William Caccia Birch. After Caccia Birch's death it was gifted to the NZ Government, in 1941, and was variously used by the army in WWII, as a convalescent home for nurses, and by both Victoria and Massey Universities. The house has been owned by Palmerston North City Council since 1984 and has been restored and renovated as a conference and function centre. It is a Category 1 listed building with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust because of its historical and architectural and community significance.

Identification

Object type
Image
Identifier
2009-72
Relation
Coolstore
Date
December 1988
Digitisation ID
2010P_IMCA-DigitalMaster_4131
Format
Colour print
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive

Related items

Caccia Birch House
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Coach House at Caccia Birch House
Caccia Birch Front Room
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Main Staircase
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph

Taxonomy

Tags
1980s,
caccia birch,
heritage building,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Caccia Birch House
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Coach House at Caccia Birch House
Caccia Birch Front Room
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Main Staircase
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph