Skip to Content
Caccia Birch House

More Info →Caccia Birch House

Caccia Birch House was designed by L. G. West and built for Jacob Nannestad, a sawmiller, in about 1892. After being sold to Jack Strang in 1903 the house was extensively enlarged, both by him and by the New Zealand Government during the time it was leased to them for use as Government House (1908-1910). In 1921 the house was sold to William Caccia Birch. After Caccia Birch's death it was gifted to the NZ Government, in 1941, and was variously used by the army in WWII, as a convalescent home for nurses, and by both Victoria and Massey Universities. The house has been owned by Palmerston North City Council since 1984 and has been restored and renovated as a conference and function centre. It is a Category 1 listed building with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust because of its historical and architectural and community significance.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2019BD_2017-49_028165_001
Title
Caccia Birch House
Format
Born Digital
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive

Related items

Caccia Birch House
Palmerston North Post Office
View from second floor balcony
T & G Building, Broadway Avenue
42 - 50 George Street, Palmerston North
Bernard Cox
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Regent Theatre under Construction
Caccia Birch Main Staircase
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Plunket Society Rooms, King Street
Post Office, Palmerston North

Creation

Created By
Place
Hokowhitu, Palmerston North
Date
circa 2012

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Council

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Caccia Birch House
Palmerston North Post Office
View from second floor balcony
T & G Building, Broadway Avenue
42 - 50 George Street, Palmerston North
Bernard Cox
Caccia Birch Pre-Restoration Photograph
Regent Theatre under Construction
Caccia Birch Main Staircase
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Plunket Society Rooms, King Street
Post Office, Palmerston North

User comments